[Kmymoney-devel] Move to git?

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Wed Nov 9 06:18:13 UTC 2011

написане Wed, 09 Nov 2011 05:15:56 +0200, Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net>:

> On 2011.11.08 21:17, Alvaro Soliverez wrote:
>> It's been 2 days since stable release. Unless someone objects, I think
>> we are ok to go ahead with the migration to git.
>> Speak now, or be converted to git.
>
> I don't object to the conversion, but as I think you said in your
> initial message, git is perhaps a bit harder to understand than svn, so
> I ask if there is any suggested documentation which provides an easy
> intro to "git for svn users" or something like that?  I've used git on
> some other projects, and so far, I have had to stick to simple recipes,
> since I have still not managed to get an actual understanding of how it
> works.
>
> Thanks for any pointers or suggestions.
>
> Jack

It is generally worth to configure git system first. Useful tips can be
found here:

http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Git/Configuration

My .gitconfig is as follows:

[user]
	name = Yuri Chornoivan
	email = yurchor at ukr.net
[color]
	ui = true
[url "git://anongit.kde.org/"]
     insteadOf = kde:
[url "git at git.kde.org:"]
     pushInsteadOf = kde:
[alias]
	ci = commit
	up = pull --rebase
         co = checkout

Then you can do as follows:

1. Initial checkout:

git clone kde:kmymoney

2. Update:

git up

3. Commit:

git ci -m "Fix this world." -a

4. Push:

git push

5. View the list of branches:

git branch

6. Switch the branch:

git co <branch_name>

7. Create the patch (for master):

git format-patch origin/master

These commands give me absolutely everything I need for everyday tasks.
Sure it is good to start ssh-agent beforehand (just an example):

ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Yuri