[Kmymoney-devel] Minor Annoyance

Cristian Oneț onet.cristian at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 07:28:12 UTC 2011

On Dum 28 Aug 2011 08:34:53 Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> > If I go back to the home screen the command in the menu and toolbar
> > remain active. If you execute the commend it will update the last
> > account that you viewed in the ledger. I think it should be disabled on
> > the home screen. Only "Update all accounts..." should be active on the
> > home screen.>
> >

> > If you access an account that is not mapped for online banking the
> > command becomes disabled in the menu and toolbar. If you return to the
> > home screen from an unmapped account they remain disabled as expected.
>
> It's not only the update account in that case. It should be all account
> handling function. So Account/Edit... should also be enabled when going
> back  to the home screen. You could even delete the current selected
> transaction in the ledger, and that certainly looks like a more severe
> situation.

This is the way kmymoney is working for as long a I know it. It has a global
selection of account, transaction, payee and other stuff upon which the actions
are performed and can be performed from the whole application. I agree that it
could be confusing to run a 'Delete transaction' when you are not actually
viewing the transaction but trying to limit the selections to only those views
that render that particular selection would be a work that could not be
cleanly done.

The solution for the home view  would be a simple reset selections when going
there but that would mean that by going trough the home view one would loose
his selections and I don't agree with that.

Other solutions would be enabling the actions depending on the active view but
that would be again error prone. Maybe the home view could render the current
account selection but that would leave the transaction/payee issue unsolved.
And I didn't even mention the other views which render selective information.

With this being said I would vote for leave it as it is because I don't see a
solution that wouldn't be subjectable to criticism in the same way as the
current behavior is.

Cristian Oneț