[Kmymoney-devel] Android Update and progress

Fernando Vilas fvilas at iname.com
Fri Aug 19 02:41:36 UTC 2011

On Thursday, August 18, 2011 09:51:33 Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on Wednesday 17 August 2011 16:44:14 Eric A. Bonney wrote:
> > What methods of encryption does KMM handle already? I am seeing a few
> > examples and methods in doing some research and it would seem that if
> > this is going to be implemented into the Android version it should works
> > seemlessly with KMM. This way when the user moves their data file from
> > the desktop to the phone and back they don't have to deal with
> > decrypting the file then moving it and encrypting it again.
>
> KMyMoney uses GPG for its encryption functionality.

The database backend is not encrypted right now. That said, you can put the
database on a trusted computer with VPN access. Then you could setup a VPN
client on Android and point the KMM app at it.

You could also look into encrypting the SQLite file, but that would not work on
other databases. There is also the issue of where the decrypted file is stored
while in use.

--
Thanks,
Fernando Vilas