[Kmymoney-devel] Help with debugging "Buy" investment Interest/Fees widgets hiding

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 18:09:30 UTC 2011

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 09:01:36 -0500
Kumar Appaiah <a.kumar at alumni.iitm.ac.in> wrote:

> Dear Allan,
>
> On Sun, Aug 07, 2011 at 10:50:13AM +0100, aga wrote:
> > On Sat, 6 Aug 2011 23:19:22 -0500
> > Kumar Appaiah <a.kumar at alumni.iitm.ac.in> wrote:
> > > http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kmymoney/2011-January/000154.html
> > >
> > > To summarize, for new investments, the "Buy Shares" option is the
> > > default, and it causes the display of the fees and interest boxes,
> > > which is quite irritating when we don't want to enter any values
> > > for those sections.
> >
> > Yes, I understand your view, which I concur with.
> >
> > I have done some work in this area fairly recently, to tidy up the
> > UI. As the changes were not trivial, were in an area where I hadn't
> > worked previously, and were completed too close to the release date
> > of the new stable version to allow adequate testing by others, I've
> > held them back.
> >
> > Once the new release has gone ahead, my patches will be reviewed
> > and, hopefully, added to the svn version, when you may see how they
> > meet your concerns (or otherwise).
>
> Thanks for this input. Is there a possibility that I can grab your
> patches to test them out locally? Have you published them elsewhere,
> or are they yet to be available?
>
> If you need some bleeding-edge testing, I am game, since I run a
> kmymoney built off of a fairly recent svn checkout (with backups of my
> kmy files).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kumar

Hi Kumar

I hadn't visited these for some weeks, and it's amazing how quickly I
forget what I've done.  Anyway, I think the attached (not to list) may
be close to what you had in mind.

Please bear in mind that they haven't yet been reviewed by anyone, and
whatever eventually gets committed may differ significantly, or totally.

However, as long as you understand that they are not suitable for live
work, I'd be happy to have your views.  What I've tried to do is to
remove widgets from view until they're actually needed, ensure they
become visible when needed - there were quite a few areas where
things didn't happen that the code showed should happen, like widgets
not being visible , apparently because of  timing issues with Qt4, add
labels where needed, and add some other very minor functionality.

I did notice in a last minute check that in a transaction split, a
widget is missing, which I'll need to have another look at, but that
apart, see how you get on.