[Kmymoney-devel] [Kmymoney2-developer] bank spreadsheet

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 17:27:00 UTC 2011

From: Robert Pasquariello <spasquariello at sc.rr.com>
To: kmymoney2-developer at lists.sourceforge.net
<< Subject: [Kmymoney2-developer] Feature request
<< Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 22:12:48 -0400
<<  rv:1.9.2.9) Gecko/20100922 Lightning/1.0b2 Thunderbird/3.1.4

<<  Almost all banks, at least in the US have gone to the CSV format
<< for account information download.  This is not currently supported
<< by Kmymoney.  I have seen comments on the Web that indicates that
<< this has virtually rendered the program useless.  I had to stop using
<< it in February.  I am considering using Quicken in Virtual Box.  I
<< currently run Linux Mint 10.

<< Bob

< I remember that you posted on this a little while back.  I tried to
< contact you several times, to no avail.  Hence, my request for return
< receipt.

< As Cristian said, help is at hand with the forth-coming new stable
< release.

< However, as different banks use CSV in different ways, it might be
< helpful for you, if you could provide a sanitised sample file, or two,
< to me directly.

< Allan

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 10:41:22 -0400
Robert Pasquariello <spasquariello at sc.rr.com> wrote:

>   Allan, thanks for you very prompt answer.  I have included several
> lines form my CSV file as imported to an Open Office spreadsheet.  If
> you need more please let me know.
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> Robert Pasquariello

>  Date 	Transaction Type 	Check Number

<snip>

Hi Bob

Firstly, as Thomas's request, I'm responding via the KDE4 list (the
KDE3 one will be closing).  You'll possibly need to register there.

Thanks for your info.

Whilst I've been able to import your file, there was an immediate
problem, here anyway - lack of field dividers, or, more accurately,
interspersed line breaks, with each transaction split over three or four
lines, in fact, as shown in your email.  I tried also importing into
LibreOffice, Gnumeric and KSpread, and they also had the same problem.
So, what I had to do was to use the  tabs already present, and remove
the line breaks to have the transactions as single lines.

You mention the use of Open Office spreadsheet.  How did you manage
that?  Did it allow for multiple lines?  The spread sheets I tried
didn't seem to, unless I'm missing something.

I did also have a problem with the date format, or KMM did, which I
need to investigate.  I believed I had that format covered.

As it has been suggested to keep a note of which banks are supported
(or not), are you able to tell me that please, off list if you wish.