[Kmymoney-devel] Re: Two questions for translating

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sat Nov 27 08:14:59 CET 2010

Hi,

on Saturday 27 November 2010 00:08:02 Jack wrote:

> On 2010.11.24 23:51, Frank Weng (a.k.a. Franklin) wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I'm translating kmymoney.  I have several questions (so far) for the
> > messages:
> >
> > 1. Unable to add budget: %1, thrown in %2:%3
> > What's "thrown in %2:%3"?
> >
> > 2. "Payer/Receiver", should it be "payer/receiver", or
> > "payee/receiver"?
> >
> > 3. Could anyone please explain to me, what is "Register balance as of
> > %1"? Is "Register" a verb, or "Register balance" a noun?  What's the
> > action if it is a verb?
>
> Hi Franklin,
>
> For #1 I assume %1 would be the name of some type of error, and %2:%3
> will be the name of the function or section of code where the error was
> thrown.  (I assume one of the developers will correct me if necessary.)

%1 is a detailed description of the error. %2 and %3 are the source file and
line number where the exception was thrown.

> For #2 we need to know the exact context to be sure which is correct.
> I would guess that the first is correct, especially if it refers to a
> transaction, where the user would enter the payer or receiver depending
> on the type of transaction.  "payee/receiver" would be using two terms
> for whoever is getting the money, and I don't recall that KMM uses that
> format.
>
> For #3 I assume %1 will be replaced with a date, so "register balance"
> is a noun- the same as "balance of the register."

kmymoney/plugins/reconciliationreport/reconciliationreport.cpp:177 is the
context and in fact it is as Jack says. It shows the balance of the KMyMoney
register as opposed to the balance on the statement. Would "KMyMoney balance
as of %1" be better? %1 is a date. I just noticed that the German translation
is crap because it treats 'Register' as a verb.

> I think if you have any other questions like this, it would help if you
> could say exactly where the text is located - line and file perhaps,
> since the context may affect exactly how the words are being used.

In a world without walls and fences,
who needs windows and gates?