[Kmymoney-devel] Re: Fwd: [Question #135137]: Online Statment

Brendan Coupe brendan at coupeware.com
Wed Nov 24 18:14:02 CET 2010

I've been importing OFX files for years. I agree it's definitely not a
statement but a list of transactions over the specified time period.

As long as the transactions are showing up in the correct account I don't
think there is a problem with the import process.

This seems like a reconciliation problem or maybe just reconciliation
confusion.

After I import my OFX files all of the new transactions are highlighted in
yellow. I simply right click on the transactions that I recognize (hopefully
all of them) and select "Accept". This removes the yellow background and
marks the transaction as "Cleared". If the "Accept" option is not available
I simply click in the field where the status is shown (right of the Details
field) to toggle through the status options (none, Cleared or Reconciled). I
use the "Cleared" status to mean that I have matched the transaction to a
receipt.

I make sure all of the transactions that are covered by the bank statement
that I am trying to reconcile are marked "Cleared" before I start the
reconciliation process. When this is that case all I have to do it set the
statement date. If KMM matches my statement the ending balance in KMM will
match the ending balance on the statement and the "Difference" value at the
bottom of the Balance column will equal zero.

If you have to modify the ending balance in KMM then the Difference value
will not be equal to zero, meaning there is a problem with one or more
transactions or the starting balance. Since all of my transactions are
imported via OFX it's extremely rare for me to have a problem reconciling my
statements.

I hope this helps. If not please provide a lot more details about the
problem.

----
Brendan