[Kmymoney-devel] some mymoney objects depend on settings

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sun Jun 27 08:47:25 CEST 2010

Hi all,

on Sunday 27 June 2010 06:44:50 Cristian Oneţ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today after getting Fernando's changes 'Make it possible to hold low level
> MyMoney types in QVariant' (revision 1143236) I was getting an exception in
> KHomeView::doForecast(void):MyMoneyForecast::doForecast() with the message
> "Illegal settings when calling doForecast. Settings must be higher than 0".
> While my installed kmymoney (not the one I'm doing development) would open
>  the file just fine. Since the installed version is just a day old I
>  suspected that this must be caused by some recent commit. If I removed the
>  metatype declaration the exception went away but the problem is after I
>  added it back the exception didn't re-appeared.
>
> I suspect that this is somehow related to the fact that the forecast object
> reads it's setting on construction. As a matter of fact how does the
>  forecast object (part of the mymoney lib) depend on settings? Being part
>  of the lib shouldn't make it settings independent and initialized by the
>  client code? MyMoneyReport and MyMoneyStorageSql are in the same boat.
>  Doesn't this mean that if I would want to link a new application only with
>  libkmm_mymoney (installed shared library) I would get unresolved
>  dependencies?

Unfortunately, yes :(

I moaned about the same thing yesterday in an IM session with Alvaro. I
approached the problem (at least the trouble it causes) by removing the build
dependency to kmymoneysettings.*

In fact there is a third module that has the same problem:
mymoneystoragesql.cpp

Guess this is my task for today, a sunny one while I am sitting on my porch :)

A clearly defined problem is half the solution!
(found in a chinese fortune cookie)