[Kmymoney-devel] KMyMoney - Unit Testing Database curiosity

Fernando Vilas fvilas at iname.com
Sat Jun 26 18:28:49 CEST 2010

On Saturday, June 26, 2010 11:10:28 allan wrote:
> I'd created some patches for QTesting of the csvimporter and installed
> them on my secondary PC as acheck that all was OK.  On running the
> tests, though, I was quite surprised by the speed difference.
>
> On PC A, the complete run takes 2 minutes, whereas on PC B, it took only
> 8.49 seconds.  All tests passed without error.  So that's 14-15 times
> faster on the older PC.  The slow one runs openSuse 11.2, and the faster
> one is Kubuntu 10.04.  Kubuntu outputs all the timings, too.
> Practically all the time is in the databasemanagertest.
>
> PC A is Athlon 64 X2 dual core 6000+.
> PC B is Athlon 64 3500+.
>
> I ran both in debug mode but still no errors showed.  I even wondered if
> the fact that I have used the database on PC A might allow for more
> testing, but more or less ruled that out as it is password protected.  I
> even had a quick, very, look at the code.
>
> It's no bother to me, but I'm just curious.  Is openSuse slow?  Anyone
> else noticed differences?
>
> Allan

Database tests are skipped if the unit test cannot open the test database for
whatever reason. Right now, it uses an SQLite database called kmm_test_driver.
So if the unit test did not have write permission to that file or SQLite is not
installed, then that would explain it.

Also, the database unit test is I/O bound, not CPU bound, so the clock speed
should not affect it much. The real difference would be the disk access speeds.

--
Thanks,
Fernando Vilas
fvilas at iname.com