[Kmymoney-devel] Prices dialog

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Wed Jun 16 14:02:50 CEST 2010

Hi all,

on Wednesday 16 June 2010 12:43:36 Alvaro Soliverez wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 7:16 AM, allan <aganderson at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> > On 16/06/10 04:07, Alvaro Soliverez wrote:
> > > On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 7:01 AM, allan <aganderson at ukonline.co.uk

[ ... cleared for improved readability ... ]

> > I'm not sure which account you're thinking of here.  At the investment
> > account level, I have the original 'Account A' name.  Then I wanted to
> > segregate those transactions into separate investment accounst by year
> > of original purchase, so then I had 'Account A' , 'Account A-2008',
> > 'Account A-2009' and  'Account A-2010', all using the same security so
> > all having the same security name.  So now in the prices table I have
> > four sets of pricing information, with no way of knowing which set I
> > needed to delete/edit.  Changing the name of the investment account
> > wouldn't help because that name doesn't appear in the table.  Changing
> > the name of the security wouldn't help because all investment accounts
> > share the same security name, plus that name doesn't appear in the table
> > either.
>
> I really don't understand why you opened up the stocks by year. Is there a
> use case that is better accomplished by opening them up this way?
> I said I would add the stock name column. I think in this case, it fits
>  what you need.
>
> Now, to be clear. We have investment accounts. Investment accounts have no
> transactions.

Yes, that is a known limitation which I want to lift after the 4.0 release at
some point in time. I think I have added a wishlist item somewhere, but b.k.o
is currently unavailable.

> They can have subaccounts, like a brokerage account, and
> stocks.

The only sub-accounts an investment account can have are the stocks. This is
another limitation I want to lift at some time.

The brokerage account lives on its own and is only connected to the investment
account because of a shared name and a known and fixed suffix ( " (Brokerage)"
in English).

> Stocks are accounts too. There is no special MyMoneyStock class. It
> is all handled within MyMoneyAccount.

Yes. The account is where the number of shares is counted, buy and sell
operations are registered.

> When you create a stock, it also creates a security by the same name, the
> stock shares.

Unless a stock account with that name already exists. In that case, you are
asked if you want to create a new one or use the existing one.

> Currencies are a particular type of security, and they are
> handled pretty much the same within KMM, save for editing, deleting, etc.

Yes.

> So, when we deal with the currency of a stock, we have at least two types
>  of security. First, the "stock share" currency, and then the "trading
>  currency" (US dollares, euros, whatever). And when we talk about stocks,
>  we actually have an account to it. It may be called the same as the "share
>  stock" currency, but each lives on its own. The stock account has a
>  reference to the shares currency, but not the other way around.

Yes, and it does not have a backward reference because it might be used by
multiple accounts (see above).

> Can we reexamine this issue in light of this new information?
>

> What I want to do in the prices dialog, is to check the securities whether
> they are a currency. For every non-currency security, search the
> corresponding stock account and add its name to a colum
>
> Thomas, please add/correct whatever you may feel I'm missing or stating
> incorrectly.

Done herewith.

> PS. Since this is the devel list, you have to bare with me for the duration
> of the technical explanation. :)

:)

What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind.
 (Punch, 1855)