[Kmymoney-devel] Prices dialog

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 12:43:36 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 7:16 AM, allan <aganderson at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> On 16/06/10 04:07, Alvaro Soliverez wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 7:01 AM, allan <aganderson at ukonline.co.uk
> > <mailto:aganderson at ukonline.co.uk>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 15/06/10 10:48, Alvaro Soliverez wrote:
> >     >
> >     >
> >     > On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 6:38 AM, allan <aganderson at ukonline.co.uk
> >     <mailto:aganderson at ukonline.co.uk>
> >     > <mailto:aganderson at ukonline.co.uk
> >     <mailto:aganderson at ukonline.co.uk>>> wrote:
> >     >
> >     >     On 15/06/10 06:51, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> >     >     > Hi all,
> >     >     >
> >     >     > on Tuesday 15 June 2010 02:35:19 Alvaro Soliverez wrote:
> >     >     >
> >     >     >
> >     >     >> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 8:14 AM, aga
> >     <aganderson at ukonline.co.uk <mailto:aganderson at ukonline.co.uk>
> >     >     <mailto:aganderson at ukonline.co.uk
> >     <mailto:aganderson at ukonline.co.uk>>> wrote:
> >     >     >>> Hi Alvaro
> >     >     >>>
> >     >     >>> Funnily enough, I was just thinking yesterday that I should
> be
> >     >     putting in
> >     >     >>> a wish-list item for the prices dialog.
> >     >     <snip>
> >     >     >>> 2) Also, partly in connection with the above, but also as
> >     a separate
> >     >     >>> wish, would be the display of the account name alongside
> each
> >     >     entry.  In
> >     >     >>> my prices
> >     >     >>> list I have more than one separate entry for a few
> securities.
> >     >      I don't
> >     >     >>> mean
> >     >     >>> different prices, but, with the 'display every entry'
> >     >     UN-checked, a few
> >     >     >>> prices
> >     >     >>> show more than once.  This probably goes back to when I
> >     split up
> >     >     some
> >     >     >>> funds that I had bought at different times and
> unfortunately
> >     >     gave them
> >     >     >>> each a duplicate security instead of sharing the one.  I
> >     have now
> >     >     >>> corrected that and
> >     >     >>> they do now share the one security, but the old entries
> remain
> >     >     and I want
> >     >     >>> remove them, but there is no indication of which prices
> belong
> >     >     to which
> >     >     >>> account and which are therefore redundant.
> >     >     >>>
> >     >     >>>
> >     >     >>> If the price entry had with it the account name it would
> >     be easy
> >     >     to see
> >     >     >>> which
> >     >     >>> prices list entry referred to which account.   Also,
> [...]
I really don't understand why you opened up the stocks by year. Is there a
use case that is better accomplished by opening them up this way?
I said I would add the stock name column. I think in this case, it fits what
you need.

Now, to be clear. We have investment accounts. Investment accounts have no
transactions. They can have subaccounts, like a brokerage account, and
stocks. Stocks are accounts too. There is no special MyMoneyStock class. It
is all handled within MyMoneyAccount.

When you create a stock, it also creates a security by the same name, the
stock shares. Currencies are a particular type of security, and they are
handled pretty much the same within KMM, save for editing, deleting, etc.
So, when we deal with the currency of a stock, we have at least two types of
security. First, the "stock share" currency, and then the "trading currency"
(US dollares, euros, whatever). And when we talk about stocks, we actually
have an account to it. It may be called the same as the "share stock"
currency, but each lives on its own. The stock account has a reference to
the shares currency, but not the other way around.

Can we reexamine this issue in light of this new information?

What I want to do in the prices dialog, is to check the securities whether
they are a currency. For every non-currency security, search the
corresponding stock account and add its name to a colum

Thomas, please add/correct whatever you may feel I'm missing or stating
incorrectly.

Regards,
Alvaro

PS. Since this is the devel list, you have to bare with me for the duration
of the technical explanation. :)