[Kmymoney-devel] [Kmymoney2-developer] Reconciliation of Investment Accounts

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jun 4 16:23:21 CEST 2010

On 2010.06.04 09:12, Ian Neal wrote:
>  Ian Neal wrote:
>>    Jack wrote:

>>> It looks like the last time I reconciled an investment account was
>>> 12/31/2009, so I may have some work to do before I can try again.
>>> Also - I assume you mean the investment account itself, and not the
>>> brokerage account?  My investment account shows last reconciliation
>>> 12/31/2009 - but all the transactions before that date are still
>>> marked "C" and not "R" - so I wouldn't be surprised if something
>>> funny
>>> is going on.
>>>
>>> Anyway - what balance are you using in an investment account?  The
>>> only thing that would make sense is the number of shares of each
>>> individual investment.
>>>
>>> Have I completely missed something here?
>>>
>>> Jack
>> Yes, it is the investment account which has 3 different stocks in it.
>>
>> Question is, how do you know which stock you are balancing or is it
>> the
>> totals of them all at different points in time?
>>
>> Ian
>>
> I've done some digging into the code. The balance of the holding
> investment account is always zero, it is the stocks/funds (sub
> accounts I suppose) that have actual value, so you cannot really
> reconcile with the code as it is at the moment.
>
> The options, in order of difficulty, I see are:
> 1/ Disable reconcile function for investment account (as it currently
> is for the sub accounts in the Accounts page).
> 2/ For investment accounts have the balance calculation in
> kmymoney.cpp sum the balances of the stocks held in it.
> 3/ Disable reconcile function for investment account and create a way
> of reconciling each sub account separately.
>
> Any thoughts?

First, I really wonder what it means to reconcile an investment.  To
match the value of a stock to a statement, KMM needs to have both the
number of shares and the share value as of the day of the statement.
Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the share value being
exact, but I do want the number of shares to match - and the
transactions of importance are any that increase or decrease that
value.  So - for me, reconciling an investment account should check the
number of shares of each investment, either one sub-account at a time,
or at once.  An option for the latter would be to change the reconcile
wizard to show one row for each investment, with four columns for
starting and ending share number and share value on the opening and
closing day.