[Kmymoney-devel] Disallow creation of loan accounts with 0% interest rate

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at kde.org
Wed Jul 28 01:15:02 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 2010.07.27 16:11, Alvaro Soliverez wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> while porting the loan wizard, this issue came up again.
>> If you feed the correct data into the fields, you can have the wizard
>> calculate a 0% for a loan account. However, that brings some issues
>> later on, as this situation is not comtemplated. The usual advice is
>> to use a liability or asset account.
>> Should we just disallow the creation of a 0% interest rate loan or do
>> we deal with the issues that arise from that?
>>
>> Disallowing creation is quicker, particularly at this stage so close
>> to release.
>
> As I am one of the people who originally complained about this, I would
> certainly prefer to have it be able to deal with a 0% loan.  However,
> given the realities of timing, I'm perfectly happy to have it refuse to
> do a 0% loan, as long as the error message is more explicit (something
> like "KMyMoney does not allow loan accounts with 0% interest.  In this
> case, please use a plain liability account and manually create the
> schedule for payments.")  I think I put this in the FAQ, although I
> realize now I did not add it to the section on creating new loans.
>
> It sounds like there are several enhancements to loans that are on the
> list for after this release (I have another one myself that I have not
> yet posted) so I think it is reasonable to keep the current changes to
> the simplest and least likely to cause problems, and defer the other
> changes (including 0%) until later.

I propose working to make the current situation consistent (ie. not
allow 0% loans). Then, after the release, drop the constraint and fix
the remaining issues.
We are in string freeze, so we should get approval for the string
change (not sure if it will pass, since we can get by with the general
warning message we have now, even if not the best explanation).

Regards,
Alvaro