[Kmymoney-devel] Disallow creation of loan accounts with 0% interest rate

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 27 22:39:05 CEST 2010

On 2010.07.27 16:11, Alvaro Soliverez wrote:
> Hello all,
> while porting the loan wizard, this issue came up again.
> If you feed the correct data into the fields, you can have the wizard
> calculate a 0% for a loan account. However, that brings some issues
> later on, as this situation is not comtemplated. The usual advice is
> to use a liability or asset account.
> Should we just disallow the creation of a 0% interest rate loan or do
> we deal with the issues that arise from that?
>
> Disallowing creation is quicker, particularly at this stage so close
> to release.

As I am one of the people who originally complained about this, I would
certainly prefer to have it be able to deal with a 0% loan.  However,
given the realities of timing, I'm perfectly happy to have it refuse to
do a 0% loan, as long as the error message is more explicit (something
like "KMyMoney does not allow loan accounts with 0% interest.  In this
case, please use a plain liability account and manually create the
schedule for payments.")  I think I put this in the FAQ, although I
realize now I did not add it to the section on creating new loans.

It sounds like there are several enhancements to loans that are on the
list for after this release (I have another one myself that I have not
yet posted) so I think it is reasonable to keep the current changes to
the simplest and least likely to cause problems, and defer the other
changes (including 0%) until later.