[Kmymoney-devel] KMyMoney 4.5 is out. The stable version for KDE4 has arrived.

Mikael Kujanpaa mahead80 at nic.fi
Mon Aug 16 20:07:46 CEST 2010

Alvaro Soliverez <asoliverez at kde.org>:
> The KMyMoney is pleased to announce the release of a stable version
> for KDE Platform 4. With over 15 months of development, this new
> version is the starting point of a new series of KMyMoney versions to
> leverage the stellar features offered by the KDE Platform.

Hi, and congratulations on your good work! I just downloaded and compided new
release, and in general I was amazed how well it worked starting from
compilation. It felt very polished and truly as a native KDE 4 application,
which it is, of course. However, I also noticed some issues. In general these
are quite a minor ones, which speaks itself pretty much about the high quality
of this release.

Here is what I noticed. Please don't take this list in any way offensively,
these are just things I noticed while I was testing it. The list of working
things would be tens or hundreds times longer. :)

- The graphs: there were some rendering problems. The lines width changed in
the middle of graph, and also some characters were broken in same way.
Resizing the window usually moved the problem to other part. Please see:
http://koti.kapsi.fi/mahead/temp/homepage_forecast.png ,
http://koti.kapsi.fi/mahead/temp/homepage_forecast_marks.png

- Sum's were not always drawn on the top of the bar graphs. Also seeing the
date for specific bar was pretty difficult, please compare KDE3 and current
version: http://koti.kapsi.fi/mahead/temp/networth_change_KDE3.png and
http://koti.kapsi.fi/mahead/temp/networth_change_KDE4.png . The rendering
speed had also some issues, for example the grid was drawn about 10 sec later
than rest of the graph.

- In line graph with values, the marks for specific points were quite big.
Maybe it could be changed to be a little bit smaller and related to the
selected line width?

- In the ledger view, there were text boxes for increasing and decreasing the
balance. While I think this is good change, the meaning of the boxes weren't
very clear. I had to test what they do before I knew. Also, using the increase
text box in first time caused KMyMoney to crash. However, the second time I
tested it, it worked okay so I cannot repeat the crash.

- When the split editor is left and there is dialog asking about unmatching
sums (with three radio buttons), I have to press three times down arrow from
my keyboard before the selection was changed to second option.

- Generally, the user interface feels a little bit sluggish. Various features
caused the window to be redrawn with speed that cannot match the old version.
For example, in ledger view I have the form hidden. When I create new
transaction, it draws quite slowly (about 5 sec) the form in the screen. Or,
the reconsilation function: if I clear the transaction by pressing ctrl +
space, it takes second or two to actually change the status of transaction.

- In the help / About KMyMoney. In the translation tab, is the content as it
is meant to be? It seems to display generally KDE translators, not the ones
who actually translated KMyMoney. Not very big issue thought. :)

Here were my quick observations. I would say that issues with graphs were most
visible ones and therefore might give bad karma for some users. Also the
sluggisness might be something that many don't like.

But I want to stress, that although I listed only issues here, I'm still very
impressed with the quality of this release. About everything from old version
were there functioning as they should!

> Right after we take some a deep breath and some rest, because this has been
> very stressful to all of us.

Please, have a plenty of rest and take some extra deep breath too. :) You have
well deserved it!

Mikki