[Kmymoney-devel] Possibly misleading text in register context menu

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at kde.org
Mon Aug 9 12:13:56 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 4:26 AM, Petr Bravenec <petr at bravenec.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to translate KMyMoney to Czech language and I have found some
> misleading texts.
>
> When a schedule is shown in register, I can enter it using context menu. It
> took few days (!!) to me to understand that I have to use context menu. Text
> "Enter next transaction" means for me something else than "Enter this
> schedule to register". The same "Skip next transaction".
>
> It lasted to me so long because I translated it to czech language word by
> word and the meaning of these texts is completelly different in czech.
>
> I do now know how often typical user of KMyMoney uses various items in this
> context menu. I think it would be better to have "Enter next transaction" as
> a default action on doubleclick.
>
> Then I enter the "Enter scheduled transaction" (name of this dialog is much
> more descriptive then text used in context menu) and continued to Enter
> Schedule changing some value and to "Confirm Manual Enter".
>
> There are two possibilities here: "OK" and "Cancel". It would be nice to add
> some text like "When you press cancel you will be returned to
> previous form where you can change your values" or add a "Back" button and
> let the Cancel button make its usual work - cancel all changes.
>
> Sorry, if text "Enter next transaction" is clear to everybody speaking
> english.

Hello Petr,
my experience as developer and translator is that the terms seem clear
in English, but I've had to change it a bit in Spanish. So, in Spanish
it's more like "Register next scheduled transaction", and "Skip the
scheduled occurrence".

As for the Ok and Cancel. You've just pressed Enter, and that's what
Cancel is about. Even if the user expected something else, it's one
click away to cancel everything.

As it is, 1 click on cancel will go back to previous screen, click on
cancel again to go out of the enter schedule dialog. Quick and clear
enough.
I wouldn't add yet another text that users won't read, or another
button, but others might think different.

Regards,
Alvaro