[Kmymoney-devel] Going for a beta --> Beta release on Dec 28th

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 01:33:45 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 7:46 AM, Alvaro Soliverez <asoliverez at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 4:37 AM, Cristian Oneţ <onet.cristian at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> ... but it would make up a nice Christmas present for the KMyMoney
>>> community :)
>>>
>>> BTW: I'll be on vacation from the 30th onwards for a week or so.

>>> Sounds good to me. Let us announce the string freeze for Dec. 1st, 20:00 UTC
>>> or something like that. This will give us some time to add what is necessary
>>> over the weekend. Thoughts?
>> I'll second this. Although I think we need to fix in the strings part
>> the way the strings appear in message boxes.
>> For example yesterday when trying out the GPG encryption the warning
>> messages were long and without a break and appeared in the message box
>> in a square format without any breaks which makes the messages
>> difficult to read.
>>

> There has to be a way to adjust that withouth affecting the string.
> Anyway, that doesn't pose problems other than adding a break here or
> there. It doesn't change the translations
>
> Unless someone objects, I will declare a 4-week string freeze on Dec
> 1st, for a beta release on Dec 28th. That is, if no really critical
> issue is discovered at the time, but I don't expect that to happen.

Since nobody objected so far, I will send the notice to the kde-i18n
mailing list.
The string freeze starts at 12 am (00:00) of your respective time
zones, and we will release on Dec 28th, unless there is a blocking
issue.
Any string change during that period has to go through me or it will
be immediately reverted, because I have to get the approval for  the
change from the i18n teams BEFORE the commit. The only exception to
this is fixing spelling mistakes, or direct request from the i18n
teams for clarification.

All of this applies to the documentation too. That is particularly
critical because the translated docs are not included unless it is
100% translated, so we should have no fuzzy or new strings going in at
the last minute.

Going forward, I expect to have releases every 4-6 weeks, with a
2-week string freeze before each release. At the end of this release,
having an assessment of the results, we can decide a detailed
calendar.

Any doubt or clarification, please send a mail to this list.

Regards,
Alvaro