Fwd: kdebase/kate/app

Dominik Haumann dhdev at gmx.de
Fri Apr 22 11:23:45 CEST 2005

On Friday 22 April 2005 11:13, Jens Herden wrote:
> > > I think we should not that easily drop introduced features here.
> >
> > This feature might have use cases, but it makes the code really ugly,
> > as this overlapping really goes around each normal qt layouting, and
> > the auto-hiding you want could be done as well with the non-overlap
> > style
>
> I expect a hard time to tell your users that because the code is ugly one
> of the features s/he liked was dropped.
> Please understand that you are not only coding for nice code but for
> people who actually use the results. Removing a feature should have
> better reasons that ugly code in my opinion.
>
> If auto-hide would be done with non-overlapping toolviews you would get a
> redraw of the central area every time I open and close a toolview, right?
> So this is from the user perception totally different.
Right.
Just for info: At the moment you get *4* redraws of the whole central widget
if you hide/show a toolview - did you know? ;)
(it's a kdockwidget bug, to be exact: KDockSplitter::activate is the evil
part, as it calls resizeEvent(0) up to 4 times).

And for a long time the central widget even wobbled around by 2 pixel or so
in overlapping mode, very ugly. Will only be fixed for KDE 3.5.

--
Dominik
GPG Fingerprint: AC88 49E3 D8A5 0541 5B71 AC6E 29AA 1696 FF64 EDBC