Fwd: kdebase/kate/app

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at babylon2k.de
Thu Apr 21 15:56:55 CEST 2005

On Thursday 21 April 2005 15:32, Matt Rogers wrote:
> hence a new design will be needed, which is why i'm hoping for a new MDI
> library for KDE 4. While I understand the current resistance to the reuse
> of KDock* and KMDI w/o a complete rewrite, I still see some potential there
> for it to be useful again. I think all it needs is some love. :)
yes, perhaps the are fixable, my only concern is if somebody gets the time and
love to do so, as it is no real fun to do so ;)

> You also have to take into account who wrote them originally and who
> continued to hack on them. I can take one look at KMDI at least and know
> straight away it was written by a Windows programmer (no offense to anyone
> here, btw) and normally that's fine, except for the hack that nobody took
> the time to refactor it, and care for it. I still think the code is
> salvagable, but only time will tell. In the mean time, I'm interested to
> see what both you and adymo (and whoever else) come up with. :)
yes, I agree that most problems of kmdi/kdockwidget has occured by adding hack
after hack after hack to a somewhat working base set, not to mention that the
300000 maintainer switches and years of rotting have given it the other half
of problems ;) perhaps it is fixable, and I hope that my and adymos work may
bring up some general usable ideas for the new design of kmdi for kde 4

btw., my stuff is now down to zero reparent usage for normal app start ;)
that's real cool, no flickering kate windows ;) (beside the initial splitter
resizes, but hey, can't get everything ;)

cu
Christoph

--
Christoph Cullmann
KDE Developer, kde.org Maintainance Team
http://www.babylon2k.de, cullmann at kde.org