Fwd: kdebase/kate/app

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at babylon2k.de
Thu Apr 21 14:48:01 CEST 2005

On Thursday 21 April 2005 01:37, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > Actually, we need working prototypes now, the more is better.
> > I spent three days on my stuff, looks like Christoph didn't spent his
> > entire life either ;)
>
> well, kdock* and kmdi is already a working prototype. yes, there are things
> that could be done better, but isn't that always the case with prototypes?
> :)
but their design is flawed, it will be never possible to get any flawless
session restore with the dockwidget design, without massive hacks, my
approach only needs one reparent at most on session restore (and this will be
eliminated soon, too), and no widgets
flicker around on screen in the wild, which is really not solvable with the
kdockwidget design, perhaps qdockwindow based kdockwidgets would make better,
but not sure if qdockwidget really gives us the power to create the idea
style gui at all

> > > I still think that KDockWidget and current KMDI and friends are
> > > savable.
> >
> > My experience and also Christoph's experience shows that ui library is
> > not that hard to implement properly. KDock* and KMDI was there for 5
> > years and they never worked as wanted. Therefore I always tend to
> > question the ability to save them ;)
>
> the problem is that they were left to bit-rot and not properly cared for.
> both yours and cullmann's code will suffer from the same problem eventually
> as well if they're not maintained.
that's true, for sure, but even if I have all features in the code to make me
happy for kate, which would mean atm only some menu entries for show/hide
toolviews + some context menu for the buttons to move the toolviews to a
different sidebar, we are still only around < 1000 lines of code, from which
say 500 lines are only wrappers around q or k widgets, with some minor
additions, nothing real hacky, atm only hack at all is the save/restore of
the splitter sizes, but this is a 30 lines hack, no evil event filter magic
at all in play atm, and don't think will need it.

cu
Christoph

--
Christoph Cullmann
KDE Developer, kde.org Maintainance Team
http://www.babylon2k.de, cullmann at kde.org