Fwd: kdebase/kate/app

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Thu Apr 21 00:04:12 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 03:48 pm, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 April 2005 19:57, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > hi,
> > here very small mainwindow class which allows 4 border toolviews, not
> > finished atm, but perhaps some interesting thingy for kmdi redesign
> > thoughts, too.
>
> Looks like we both ended up with an idea of rewriting kmdi in very
> similar ways :)
> My implementation (kdevelop/src/newui/dmainwindow.h(cpp)) just uses
> Ideal::ButtonBar while yours uses KMultiTabBar.
>
> The questions are here:
> 1) do we want other modes that IDEA?

debatable

> 2) do we want docked/undocked toolviews?

yes

> 3) do we need 4-th border toolview (topmost)?

debatable

> 4) do we need to have several widgets inside one toolview
> (splitted horisontaly or vertically)?

yes

> 5) do we need splitted views in the main areas?

yes

> Current kmdi:
> 1 - has other modes
> 2 - provides dock/undock
> 3 - has topmost view
> 4 - impossible by design
> 5 - in kmdi1 impossible by design
>
> My (unfinished) ideal library:
> 1 - has only idea
> 2 - provides dock/undock
> 3 - has topmost view
> 4 - mostly implemented
> 5 - not yet implemented
>
> My newui (libd) library and mainwindow for KDevelop
> 1 - has only idea
> 2 - no dock/undock
> 3 - hasn't got topmost view - nobody seems to use it
> 4 - impossible by design
> 5 - implemented
>
> Future kmdi library - ?

there's too many. we need to figure out what we want to use and stick with
that. I still think that KDockWidget and current KMDI and friends are
savable. However, I have little time at the moment to do anything with them
unless somehow or another I start having a lot more free time.

Matt