Fwd: kdebase/kate/app

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at babylon2k.de
Wed Apr 20 23:26:42 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 22:48, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> 1) do we want other modes that IDEA?
> 2) do we want docked/undocked toolviews?
> 3) do we need 4-th border toolview (topmost)?
> 4) do we need to have several widgets inside one toolview
> (splitted horisontaly or vertically)?
> 5) do we need splitted views in the main areas?
>
> Current kmdi:
> 1 - has other modes
> 2 - provides dock/undock
> 3 - has topmost view
> 4 - impossible by design
> 5 - in kmdi1 impossible by design
>
> My (unfinished) ideal library:
> 1 - has only idea
> 2 - provides dock/undock
> 3 - has topmost view
> 4 - mostly implemented
> 5 - not yet implemented
>
> My newui (libd) library and mainwindow for KDevelop
> 1 - has only idea
> 2 - no dock/undock
> 3 - hasn't got topmost view - nobody seems to use it
> 4 - impossible by design
> 5 - implemented

katemdi toy:
1) only idea
2) no dock/undock atm
3) topmost view, if wanted
4) no problem, as sidebar widget is splitter, too
5) no need, as kate does that itself

kmdi - future:
not sure ;)
I could live with just the stuff your ideal thing provides, even with what
katemdi provides atm I could live (given that I add a usable gui for toolview
moving and accessing via keyboard and menu, like kmdi has, only nice part ;)

the good thing is that session restore/save works much better in katemdi than
in kmdi ever, even at the current state, beside a minor problem that the size
of a sidebar isn'T remembered correct atm if it is collapsed at shutdown, I
see no flicker on my xinerama, no windows fly around, hell, even alone that
is cool ;)

I would port kate to any mdi lib supporting the above mentioned stuff, which
is even a subset of your stuff or kmdi2 idea mode, but I want it working ;)
and given that katemdi mode stuff only caused some hours of work until now
and it works, I am confident that I can sharpen it together with some help up
to at least use it as an proof of concept for a later kate version, as I can
break BC in kate like I want, as it'S app no lib. docking would perhaps be
nice, but not sure, even on multihead, makes not that much sense, you still
can just open multiple mainwindows.

btw., does idea lib or newgui support the idea overlapping?

cu
Christoph

--
Christoph Cullmann
KDE Developer, kde.org Maintainance Team
http://www.babylon2k.de, cullmann at kde.org