creating a content system

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Wed Aug 10 15:35:44 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 12:39, Roberto Cappuccio wrote:
> Your kat database resides in your home folder anyway, so you will be
> the only one having sufficient access rights to it. Or you could
> simply disable indexation of hidden folders.

But that's not what we want for KDE 4. So as much as this is fine for
KAT it doesn't fit in what we want for KDE.

> Ok, that's reasonable. We could provide a way to access remote Kat
> repositories.

Great.

> What about external hard disks and other portable devices one could
> simply move from home to office, for example?

Depends on the drive and the way we do indexing. In general you do want
to index external drives because they serve the same purpose as your
home directory.

> Should I copy all 250 Gb of my external hard disk to my home folder
> every time I want to index it just because my policy is to have
> everything in my home folder?

No, like I said, the external drives serve the same purpose as your home
directory. It's the /usr, /bin, /var, /lib, /etc and so on I take issue
with.

> And, again, what about CDs, DVDs and the like? Should I copy them all
> in my home folder?

Same issue.

> Documents I need to use in different locations.

Besides detachable media what locations are those?

> Oh yes? Make a little experiment, please. Create one or two PDFs in a
> folder, one of them containing the word "hello". Open kfind and try
> to find the file which contains the word "hello".
> No work at all?

Hey, not a problem, just let users export them to text files... Like I
said if we're going for inferior solutions then we should look into not
doing any work instead of creating more of it.

> Ok, the library supports all of those library, I know. But what is
> the utility of it if the drivers you supply (I speak mainly for
> QSQLITE3) do not support it?

SqlLite driver supports blobs, transaction, unicode, last insert it,
prepareped queries and positional placeholders...

> Again, the library supports it. Some drivers (almost all) do not.

You're using such ridiculesly general statemants that it's impossible to
answer. To put it mildly: some drivers (almost all) support it.

Zack

--
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.