Krita.org website broken because of broken Swedish translation

Halla Rempt halla at valdyas.org
Fri Jun 28 10:15:20 BST 2024

On vrijdag 28 juni 2024 09:32:07 CEST Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Freitag, 28. Juni 2024 09:12:11 CEST Halla Rempt wrote:
> > With the move to static generated websites (sphinx, hugo) we're running into
> > a big problem: any issue in a translation can totally break regenerating
> > the website. And worse, nobody can fix the issue except for the
> > translators, since the translation folders are blocked from modifying in
> > the git repo.
>
> That's not correct. You can easily work around the problem. In #kde-
> i18n:kde.org I explained _irc_scottyp:im.kde.org how to workaround this by
> temporarily removing the problematic translation in the CI job just before the
> website is built.

I would not call that "easily".

> I have applied this crude workaround once here:
> https://invent.kde.org/documentation/develop-kde-org/-/commit/e4cec8de9396a05a3c8265bcbaf25f8869a0c44d
> I reverted the commit again after the site had been built successfully.

Yes, that's extremely crude.

> > In this case, we cannot officially announce the latest krita release because
> > the Swedish translation, for some reason, has broken the website, and
> > despite contacting the responsible people several times, no fix has been
> > upcoming. Nor any reaction.
>
> That's also not correct. There has been a reaction on #kde-i18n:kde.org. See
> above.

Well, I'm not there... And the people responsible for the broken translation haven't responsded. And the release post still isn't out.

My conclusion is that translation commits should be autoreverted when they break builds and that translators should become aware of invent.kde.org.

Halla