GSOC Project: Steam Integration

Iván Yossi ghevan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 03:33:27 GMT 2022

hi all,

I’ve been investigating a bit over this and from what I can understand so far:

1) From what I see, for linking a closed source library from GPLv3 would require to modify terms as seen in"https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html» however, I wonder if this can be specific to libraries needed for providing API access. But we would probably need insight from someone more familiar with this.

2) I wonder if for this steam can launch install scripts?, if it can we can add the redistributable_bin to the final krita directories in the correct locations upon steam install. There would be no need for extra builds if this can be done. Inside the code, the library would have to be checked and linked at runtime.

3) Steam recommends no bigger transactions than 100Mb to avoid slow close/open of the app, so if we limit to 250mb it probably will be a limit on what we can do with the steam cloud.

4) Afaik, there is a way to work with teams on the app, if this is not possible or is dangerous we could give the access to the mentor, and work with the student through the mentor. For achivements the student only needs the achievement key (we create them), and for development a local textfile with an integer representing the app ID number is the only thing needed (aside from, steam running, the krita application on their library and my guess: the developer status for the app, but im not familiar with the last part).

There are challenges on this project and Im happy you bring them up, specially non-related to coding as its sometimes forgotten when thinking new projects.

Iván Yossi
<ghevan at gmail.com>
IRC: ivanyossi