GSOC Project: Steam Integration

Emmet O'Neill emmetoneill.pdx at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 22:46:06 GMT 2022

Hey. I just wanted to comment on one of the GSOC projects listed here
<https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2022/Ideas#Krita>.

I haven't researched this too deeply, but I wonder if Steam integration as
described here is possible for Krita. Eoin and I have a few questions:

1.) If I understand correctly, many aspects of Steam integration (like
achievements) require linking to and calling code in the Steamworks API
<https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/sdk/api>. Is doing so compatible with
Krita's GPLv3 license?

2.) If that's not a problem, then would it require us to make
Steam-specific builds for each platform (Linux, Windows and MacOS)?

3.) When it comes to cloud storage, there are a few practical limitations
that should be considered. First is that Steam seems to limit cloud storage
space to around 1GB per user, I think. While this isn't a ton of space to
work with I can see how it might still be useful, but is it enough and are
there any other limitations here that we should consider? The other issue
is how we might create an interface through which users can decide what is
or isn't saved to the Steam cloud. Would users be required to save their
cloud-synced works in a special folder inside their Steam local content?
(Using "Steam Auto-Cloud Configuration" we can enable cloud saving at a
specific path without needing to use the Steamworks API at all, so the
potential issue above doesn't necessarily apply here.)

4.) Steamworks integration and configuration would likely require
administrator-level access to Krita's Steam project. Are we ok with
granting that level of access to a GSOC student?

I'm not against this project exactly, and I can certainly see how deeper
Steam integration could be fun and a value-add for people who support us on
Steam, but I want to make sure that some of the potential hurdles and
pitfalls around this project are generally understood so that we don't end
up sending one of our GSOC students on a wild goose chase or setting them
up for failure.

- Emmet