Meeting might be moved

Tymon Dąbrowski tamtamy.tymona at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 23:58:47 BST 2021

Hi,

(I kinda thought I already volunteered to take care of that - though,
admittedly, I would first try to find someone else to lead the meeting,
since it's not really an easy thing to do - but when I got this mail I
realized I haven't said anything...)

If we don't have a meeting, I have two things I would like to express my
opinion about.

1) string freeze exception for this MR:
https://invent.kde.org/graphics/krita/-/merge_requests/922 (it was
suggested in the MR comments) - I was working under an impression that
string freeze exception is only for important things, and while this is a
very nice change, it's just a usability improvement of a kind that I don't
think warrants a special treatment. I would agree if it was a new warning
message for something etc. The final decision is Halla's, though. I feel
like it's important to keep our promises as a way to show respect to our
translators. Though maybe I treat string freeze exceptions way more
seriously than I should be - maybe string freeze just means "tell
translators if you update strings"? If so, please tell me that, so I can
adjust my perspective.

2) Beta release. It was supposed to be this Thursday (though not sure how
that would happen with both Halla and I guess Dmitry on vacations), but I
believe it would be beneficial to move it further at least one week, if not
more.
There are a few blocking issues in resource rewrite and I believe other
things like animation and transform tool.
There is 10 bug reports marked "release_blocker":
https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=CONFIRMED&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=NEEDSINFO&bug_status=VERIFIED&f0=OP&f1=OP&f2=product&f3=component&f4=alias&f5=short_desc&f7=content&f8=CP&f9=CP&j1=OR&keywords=release_blocker%2C%20&keywords_type=allwords&list_id=1886247&o2=substring&o3=substring&o4=substring&o5=substring&o7=matches&product=krita&query_format=advanced&v2=krita&v3=krita&v4=krita&v5=krita&v7=%22krita%22
There is 14 bug reports marked "regression" (of course some of the reports
are the same as above):
https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=CONFIRMED&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=NEEDSINFO&bug_status=VERIFIED&f0=OP&f1=OP&f2=product&f3=component&f4=alias&f5=short_desc&f7=content&f8=CP&f9=CP&j1=OR&keywords=regression%2C%20&keywords_type=allwords&list_id=1886248&o2=substring&o3=substring&o4=substring&o5=substring&o7=matches&product=krita&query_format=advanced&v2=krita&v3=krita&v4=krita&v5=krita&v7=%22krita%22

For the things blocking in resource rewrite, there are following
mini-projects:
a) (1-3 days, depending on the approach) tag models + comboboxes, a tag
shouldn't get deselected from the combobox on adding or removing a storage
(incl. startup of Krita)
b) (1 day) automatic rename of files of imported or added resources in
specific cases (would be better with user input, but I tried to work
without adding new strings; and this would be the most user-friendly
approach)
c) (? 1-3 days) extract tags to directory, but I probably should talk with
Halla about .xml tags before I can finish that
d) embed brush tips into paintoppresets (Halla was doing that, and she's on
holidays now)
e) rearrange brush tip GUI to make space for a label with an embedded brush
tip (related to (d), also Halla's work)
f) (less necessary, but would be good to have, and it's a regression)
remembering last used tags and resources for all dockers
(That's not all issues, but all the blocking/most important/bigger ones, I
believe).

While I know that you can fix regressions in the beta period, I think the
purpose of beta is to test the code to see and fix issues developers
missed. Since we know there are big problems in Krita now, we should fix
them first, so beta testers will only test code considered "good" already.
I'm not advocating for delaying ad infinitum, I know we'll have to release
soon otherwise the technical debt will be increasing more and more. But I
think if we move the beta for one week, or maybe two, depending on what
state Krita will be in a week from now, and if the team now focuses
strictly on making Krita ready for release, then we'll gain more (by
avoiding reports about issues long known about, and making sure testers
test the fixes) than we'll lose (releasing potentially a bit later). I
think we should release beta when we feel we're ready for that, and for
now, I personally don't feel like Krita is ready.

(If anyone would want to help with resource rewrite, but they feel unsure
what to do or how to do it, maybe because they never worked with the new
system or resources before, I can help and/or guide them through the task.
But in any case, there are other issues that need to be fixed, too).

Let me know what you think.

Regards,
Tiar