On future website translation workflow

Tyson Tan tysontan at tysontan.com
Mon Jun 7 15:55:24 BST 2021

Hi team,
I've read the 07-06-2021 meeting about a possible new translation
workflow. I wasn't there at the meeting, so please allow me to share
some thoughts.

I agree with the idea of using SVN for translation. It will make the
whole process so much more streamlined, manageable, and possibly safer
too. And we don't need to bother the webmaster all the time for small
but privileged translation changes.

One setback of using SVN is the translation will not be ready as timely
as we do now -- the current arrangement allow me to translate
immediately when I see a release. So in order to keep the new release
articles available to local communities in a timely fashion --

[IMPORTANT] We should make a template for release articles. Some key
sections should reuse a set of static translations, for example:

1) Openings like: "Today the Krita team has release Krita [version], a
[major/bugfix] release."

2) Titles of "New Features" and "Bug Fixed"

3) The whole "Download" section.

4) "Support Krita" message at the end.

In this way a new release article will always have all language versions
available without the translator doing anything (if they have translated
the static messages, that is.), and the essential messages are readable
for the local community too.

Another setback of using SVN is that it's less flexible. For example the
Simplified Chinese version of krita.org has a lot of ugly, dodgy, janky
hacks because of its unique circumstances. I'm honestly not a fan of
what I did there but the local community seems to appreciate them. I
wonder if we can give an empty section on each page/post for the
localization team to fill in some extra information when needed.

As for the infrastructures --

I have recently translated most of the kde.org and its sub-websites
(except the release posts), and I think that system (Hugo?) meets our
needs pretty well. Since it's basically static pages, it might be
faster, more secured, and more friendly to CDNs. We aren't using
Wordpress's pull feature set anyway. I wonder if we can borrow that?

Best wishes,
Tyson Tan