Krita Documentation as Git Submodule?

Alvin Wong alvin at alvinhc.com
Sun Jul 11 11:40:34 BST 2021

Hi Emmet,

I think a submodule may not really do much to help, perhaps even do the
opposite. Currently, there are two docs branches:

  * master - where all the editing is going on.
  * krita/4.3 (stable) - which is built daily and deployed to
    docs.krita.org. Translations are also automatically committed into
    the repo daily.

A git submodule basically points to a specific commit. It is possible to
make the submodule track a remote branch, but it still has to be updated
manually as a separate step. Given the extra steps required, I feel that
the benefit of using a submodule is minimal. Also, the submodule will
likely be pointing to an outdated commit most of the time, unless
someone commit the submodule update often, which may produce a lot of
commit noise in the main repo.

This is also not a typical use case of git submodule.

Nevertheless, we can perhaps give this a trial using a new temporary
branch, periodically synced to master by merging master into it, and see
how it goes.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wong

Emmet O'Neill 於 8/7/2021 13:40 寫道: