Android(Chromebook) Build - USI Pen Right Click support

Rafał Sontowski rafal.sont at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 15:41:48 GMT 2020

Hello,

I recently started using Krita on Chromebook with USI Pen support (Acer
Chromebook Spin 713). Even in Beta Krita already is the best drawing
application available on Chromebook! It is a pleasure to use it with a USI
Pen with pressure supported.

*Problem* - Krita does not recognize USI Pen right click, or to be strict -
Krita does not recognize right click when I touch the canvas with USI Pen
having Pen button pressed (this works as right click in other apps) - hence
I cannot change the drawing tool using tools wheel :(.

*Potential root cause*: support for USI Pen buttons has been added in
Android 6.0 (API 23) -
https://developer.android.com/about/versions/marshmallow/android-6.0#bluetooth-stylus,
Looks like Krita for Android(and Chromebooks) is build with Android API 21,
or 22 (at least this is what I found in building instructions)

I tried to rebuild Krita myself to check if the statement above is correct.
I am new to building KDE applications and I failed :(. I was able to build
Krita for Linux fine, by following instructions from
https://docs.krita.org/en/untranslatable_pages/building_krita.html#building-on-linux,
but failed to build Krita for Android following
https://docs.krita.org/en/untranslatable_pages/building_krita.html#building-on-android
It stopped while building few kf5 components due to QT versions mismatch:
{code}
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:15 (find_package):
Could not find a configuration file for package "Qt5" that is compatible
with requested version "5.14.0".

The following configuration files were considered but not accepted:

/home/appimage/build/i/lib/cmake/Qt5/Qt5Config.cmake, version: 5.12.9
{code}
I used "git clone / git checkout tags/4.4.1" to get sources. I faced the
same problem while I was trying to use Docker container for building as
described at:
https://docs.krita.org/en/untranslatable_pages/building/build_krita_with_docker_on_linux.html

*Questions*:
- Can someone confirm why USI Pen right click does not work? Is the too low
Android API level a reasonable root cause?
- Is there a different instruction I can follow to rebuild Krita for
Android?

regards, Rafał