A thank you note to all

Emmet O'Neill emmetoneill.pdx at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 23:58:25 BST 2019

Alberto,

I also had a great time at the sprint, and It was my pleasure to meet you
and everybody else.

I'm not the most social person and I tend to withdraw into my comfort zone.
While I am close to my family and I have a few close friends, I think it's
quite rare for me to
meet people who not only share my passion for things like art and
programming,
but who are also welcoming and inherently kind--a value that stands above
all others.
I consider myself very lucky to have been invited to the sprints, to have
had opportunity to learn from others,
to see and explore a country that I didn't really know, and to have met so
many good and interesting people from all over the world.

I'm sorry to hear about your struggle with depression.
I've also had points when I was consumed by intense feelings of depression,
hopelessness, and a general lack of self-worth.
I've struggled and failed through many dreams, taken the road less traveled
and fallen flat on my face,
without a real career or solid plan and wound up feeling very behind my
perception of others.
It's an ongoing battle, but despite my many setbacks and failures, I love
life.
I'm really glad to hear that working on Krita has brought purpose and
meaning back into your life,
and I hope that you never find yourself without those things again.

My involvement with Krita and my first sprint also came at an important
moment in my life,
and they also helped me to realize that, despite having taught myself how
to code, I can do it.
Not only was that good for my confidence, it is also very validating and
rewarding to have your work
be included in a project that many people use and love, and that enables
people to create cool things,
with minimal socioeconomic barriers.

At any rate, I'm sure the circumstances of our lives are very different,
but I think I can relate.
I consider you all among my friends and I feel very lucky and grateful to
be involved in this crazy thing called Krita.
- Emmet

*PS:* Plan a trip to visit your sister in Seattle and Eoin and I will drive
up there to hang out. =]