New image format: JPEG XL

Jan Wassenberg janwas at google.com
Tue Nov 19 11:44:29 GMT 2019

Hi,

thanks for Krita, we're (ab)using it for image editing :)

Thought you might be interested in the JPEG XL
<https://jpeg.org/jpegxl/index.html> image format
(lossy/lossless storage of photographic/synthetic/mixed images/animations).

Lossless mode is about 2/3 the size of a PNG and
visually lossless (lossy but very high quality) is ~40% of JPEG size.

Other features include up to 16 or even 32 bits per sample, layers,
selection masks, and minimalistic vector support (splines).

JPEG XL is in the late stages of standardization. Would you be
interested in engaging with us to see if there are any missing
must-have features, or explore whether we can work together
towards support in KDE?

Best regards
Jan on behalf of the JPEG XL team at Google and Cloudinary