Moving to gitlab, which features to use.

Wolthera griffinvalley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 14:12:18 BST 2019

Hi,

We're moving to gitlab soonish. Our move to phabricator was marked by
overengineering of a workflow. We have for example always people who
want to test stuff but never read the gitlog on what can be tested,
and we've had trouble with release checklists. And I suspect we were a
little in awe of what was possible ;)

Furthermore, gitlab doesn't allow us to do regular patch reviews
anymore, meaning we need to change the way how we enroll new users.

So, this email is a request for people to look at the documentation
and see what features they'd like to use. Mind that we cannot use
premium/ultimate/starter features because we're self-hosted by kde.

https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/README.html

For example, we can resolve the new contributor's thing with patches
by email (https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/merge_requests/#create-new-merge-requests-by-email)
or have them use the web editor
(https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/repository/web_editor.html)
But then we will still need to document how to make patches.

I would like to hear all your ideas, and then I'll try to make a
simple workflow document from this.
--
Wolthera