Aw: Re: Krita 4.0 / Colour palettes

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed May 9 08:39:49 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 7:17:53 AM CEST Christoph Schäfer wrote:
> Hi Boud, the rest of the Krita Team and Jan-Peter,
>

> I'm currently writing my Krita review for the Swiss "Publisher" magazine.
> Since I have only two pages and between 2 and 4 screenshots, you'll
> probably be disappointed because I obviously have to leave out a lot of
> great features. However, it will be the first Krita-only article for this
> influential magazine, and you can be assured that you will receive the
> praise you deserve -- not because I'm someone used to brown-nosing but
> because I think that the new version is magnificent. I will, of course,
> also criticise where criticism is due. ;)
>

> As for Boud's question: Jan-Peter already delivered a substantial reply.
> Here are my thoughts: CxF3 shouldn't be a priority for Krita, at least not
> now. IMHO, Krita should focus on writing import filters for Adobe ACO and
> ASE files, maybe also colour palettes available as AI or EPS files, as well
> as Illustrator / Photoshop Symbol libraries, gradients and all the other
> Adobe resource formats, followed by Corel's. This is no rocket science, as
> the formats are all fairly simple and either easy to reverse-engineer or
> already documented on the Swatchbooker website.

Okay. Aco is already supported, actually...

> One aspect I'll criticise in the article is the lack of print-ready PDF
> export. In terms of colour management and colour models Krita is already
> miles ahead of even Photoshop, and you provide templates for comic books,
> which, I assume, are supposed to be printed. Why not implement PDF(-X)
> export? Boud, you're always on #scribus, so you can ask jghali what needs
> to be done in this regard. :)

We don't do anything print-related, actually, not even print to paper. At one
point we had a half-baked printing implementation that re-used Qt's printing
code, but it never worked even half-way well. And since our vision says that
the goal of Krita is producing image files, we haven't put time into it,
telling people to use Scribus to prepare images for printing instead :-)

--
Boudewijn Rempt | https://www.valdyas.org | https://www.krita.org