Next Gen CI Will Be Moving to Production Shortly: Upcoming Changes

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue May 16 10:39:11 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 10:14 PM, Dmitry Kazakov <dimula73 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The only trouble for Krita will be Windows builds, but it is not a
> regression, so we can proceed with the move.

*Nod*. We haven't had Windows CI at all up until now.

> For Windows we have the following problems:
>
> 1) Krita needs MinGW for compiling on Windows

How hard a requirement is this? From what I understand it's related to
the G'Mic code correct?
Chances are we'll introduce Mingw at some point, but it's not on my
immediate plans (the design makes it not too hard, but i'd prefer to
push MSVC a good part of the way to workable first)

> 2) We have a set of cmake scripts that builds all the deps on Windows.
> Sometimes the scripts apply some patches. So if we would like to reuse the
> builds done by CI system for "nightly" packages (and we would really like
> to!), so these custom dependency builds should also be integrated somehow.
> How to do that within the limits of the new dependencies framework?
>
> Here is the list of the deps we build on Windows (and for Linux AppImage
> packages):
> https://cgit.kde.org/krita.git/tree/3rdparty
>
> And here is the list of patches we apply on them:
>
> ./ext_exiv2/exiv2.patch
> ./ext_exiv2/tzname.patch
> ./ext_exiv2/patch_mingw.patch
> ./ext_iconv/iconv-src-1.13.1.patch
> ./ext_ocio/patch_mingw.patch
> ./ext_openexr/patch_mingw.patch
> ./ext_poppler/poppler_mingw.patch
> ./ext_vc/vc1.2_malloc_free.patch
> ./ext_qt/0001-Don-t-request-the-MIME-image-every-time-Windows-asks.patch
> ./ext_qt/0002-Hack-always-return-we-support-DIBV5.patch
> ./ext_qt/0003-Hack-for-fullscreen-workaround.patch
> ./ext_qt/mac-default.patch
> ./ext_qt/qtbase-configure.patch

I guess the first question is: have you tried to upstream these? In
general we don't want to patch stuff at all on the CI as it creates
maintenance burden. (Patching of KDE software is completely out of the
question for obvious reasons)

At the moment we source the binaries for everything except Qt from
Craft. How many of these patches are applied by them?
For the other deps, if Craft has tooling available for those we can
probably make them available.

Currently i've not built any mechanisms for registering non-KDE
projects within the CI system framework (and was sort of hoping to
avoid that, but we'll see how we go)

Cheers,
Ben