No subject

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Mar 16 10:32:07 UTC 2017

Hi,

We really need to define a new release schedule for the next stable release and for the development release. And for the next fund-raiser. May is usually the best month, but I don't see how we can prepare for a fund raiser in a month and a half :-( We also should have 4.0 alpha out when the fund raiser starts!

 For the stable release, we've got two options:

 * release the 3.1 branch
 * branch master into 3.2 and release 3.2.0

The big difference right now between 3.1 and master is that master has the export warnings refactoring. Otherwise, both branches are pretty similar.

For the development release, we need to merge the svg and scripting branches to master.

For the schedule:

We're not going to make it to release at the end of this month anymore. April should be doable, I think? We do need to put in some solid bug fixing whichever stable release target we choose, though!

Stable:

 * Monday 27 March: String Freeze + Translator notification
 * Wednesday 29 March: Start of weekly test builds (windows, osx, linux appimage, linux ppa, linux snap (need a volunteer for the snaps, my snap build machine broke down!)
 * April 20: Hard Freeze (only emergency bug fixes)
 * April 25: Draft of announcement ready and open for translation
 * April 29: Release

4.0 Unstable Alpha:

  * No string freeze until we reach alpha
  * Monday 27 March: merge svg and scripting branches, start making test builds.
  * April 25: Draft of announcement
  * April 29: release of 4.0 Unstable Alpha with lots of warnings about disappearing kittens.

As for our yearly fund-raiser -- should we target August? That's quite close to when our current funding from outside the foundation ends, but by that time our tax audit troubles should be all over.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org