Updating the vision

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Sun Aug 13 19:23:02 UTC 2017

On 12.08.2017 11:24, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> "Free Software" vs  "a free and open source program" -- the reason I put program
> in here is that to be precise: we're not making software that can be used from other
> application, but an application itself.

That was meant to be "Free Software" in the FSF sense, capitalized, to
avoid having to say "free and open source" and to point to the 4
freedoms instead of the vague openness. Writing out "Free Software
application" would be fine, but of course I don't even know if you want
to take such a position. Due to the problematic terminology, it would be
lost on some readers, anyway.

> What:
>
> Krita is a free and open source cross-platform application that offers an
> end-to-end solution for creating digital art from scratch. Krita is optimized
> for or frequent, prolonged and focused use.

Minus the "or" after "for", but I guess you saw that after sending
already ;)

> For whom:
>
> Explicitly supported fields are illustrations, concept art, matte painting,
> textures, comics and animations.
>
> What is the value:
>
> Working together with artist, Krita is an application that supports
> their actual needs and workflow.
>
> I'm wondering, given all the work we're doing on psd integration and
> svg integration: should we mention interoperability and open standards
> here? Something like:
>
> What is the value:
>
> Developed together with artists, Krita is an application that supports
> their actual needs and workflow. Krita supports open standards and
> interoperates with other applications.

If "application" appears in the first sentence, it has no need to appear
here again. I think it should be plural – workflows. One "Krita" could
be replaced with "it" and the second "supports" could be "implements".

"
Developed together with artists, Krita supports their actual needs and
workflows. It implements open standards and interoperates with other
applications.
"

Hmm, maybe, _if_ it's mainly about file im- and export, it should say so?

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/