Proposal for the Krita Phabricator relayout

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Jun 22 06:34:46 UTC 2016

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016, Wolthera wrote:

> * Website (and website translation)
> * Manual/training/education
> * Feature development
> * Method for dealing with regressions during feature making(maybe already
> make a 3.1 bugs sprint???)
> * Dmitry's workboard -> maybe make this a subboard of feature dev... we can.
> * Stable bugs... make a milestone under Krita main project.
>
> suggestion: Rename Krita Next, then move over the tasks.
>
> My main issue with the proposal on community is that I have noticed that if
> we are in feature freeze, we do not wish to see any feature-tasks on the
> board, so my suggestion is to make a 3.1 bugs board as soon as possible,
> and only put regression-bugs on there, while having a Krita: Next board for
> features and work-progress.

There is one other thing that neither structure facilitates, and that's landing
features in the current stable branch. That worked really well for 2.9, and I
want to do that for 3.0, too. I'm thinking that we might slowly grow into a
Linux-like system with a merge window at the begin of a release cycle when
features can land. But we're not there yet.

I sort of feel that a refinement of these proposals would be

1. Website (+ translations)
2. Manual (which is separate from the website work)
3. Stable bug fixes
4. Krita Next: all features which are under development. They can land in 3.0 (like video export) or 3.1 (like python scripting)
5. Longterm Features: all features which are being thought about, but not developed

I'm not too fond of the abyss board: I'd prefer to keep using bugzilla as our abyss
for now.

Personal workboards are a good idea, we should have that flexibility.

I'm not sure we need a regressions board separate from the the bugs board: it might be best to just have a column for that?

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org