Meeting minutes of Krita 2016 Deventer sprint

Dmitry Kazakov dimula73 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 09:20:35 UTC 2016

Hi, all!

I have polished the Meeting Minutes document we were maintaing during the
sprint. It contains all planning information and decisions we had to do
during the sprint. Any suggestions and comments are welcome! :)

Link to the original document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TWhg7xIx4H1aDwvoN9cE6ucRk-pCKVaA3W5Z1tCKC-I/edit#

A plain copy of it for the arching purposes :)

Krita sprint 2016Minutes 22nd of January 2016Library layout split

   -

   Definition of a plugin: plugin is a library that can be removed without
   breaking Krita
   -

   move krita plugins to ko plugins. All the plugins will be stored in the
   same directory.
   -

   keep the directory structure of plugins except, extensions/dockers,
   which should have a separate folder plugins/dockers
   -

   boud will do the moving; dmitry will then split image and boud will
   split ui.

Resource management

   -

   load resources in a controlled way sequentially, then tags, to fix the
   tags bug (for 3.0)
   -

   design a database-based resource system (for 3.x)
   -

   We still have two options:
   -

      database for caching the resources, original resources are stored as
      files. Complex, but the resources can be shared via Dropbox or OneDrive
      -

      database for storing the resources. Not much sharable, though simple
      to implement.
      -

   Plan:

   1.

   list of resource types we need to support (swatchbooker?)
   2.

   requirements for ux design
   3.

   ux design
   4.

   database schema design
   5.

   code model, class structure, from current architecture to new structure
   6.

   needs a rework of the resource selector widgets
   7.

   migration path from directory-based resource storage

Debug/Warning messages

Types of messages we have:

   -

   Debug Messages --- not seen by the users unless we ask them to activate
   it when triaging a bug.
   -

   Warning Messages --- visible to the users, notify that the problem has
   happened, there might be minor glitches in the results, but at least Krita
   will not crash and will not need a restart. Activated by default.
   -

   Assert Message --- a critical error has happened. Krita will try its
   best for not to crash, but it is not guaranteed. It is recommended to save
   your work and restart Krita.

MacOS/Windows:

   -

   we need a switch that activates debuging output at a specific level/area
   and dumps it into a file, which people could send us.

Areas that should be visible to the user and activated separately via GUI

   -

   Tablet events
   -

   File handling
   -

   Shortcuts
   -

   Other

Debugging to a file can be activated with some specific shortcut, e.g.
Ctrl+Shift+Alt+D, and tablet support activated separately (as well) with a
separate shortcut Ctrl+Shift+T.

Q: Debugging/Warning at unittests?

A: A manual  for a developer to configure his environment to see proper
output in the unittest. Based on this:
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qloggingcategory.html

Q: How about showing warnings in popups? Then we need a signal-based system
for warnings which is also compressed. The user should be able to disable
it for he wants to finish his work first, and then to report a bug.

A: No :)
Minutes 23rd of January 2016From Lunch:

   -

   We need a community manager for Steam
   -

   We need a manager for releases, the checklist for him is ready. Link
   <https://community.kde.org/Krita/Release/Checklist_Krita_Release_Checklist>
   -

   Dmitry and Wolthera talk about new-to-krita
   -

   Bugs.kde.org: dmitry stays the hell away from it. Dmitry makes phab
   columns we can add bugs to, after discussing with dmitry on irc whether
   it's suitable. Dmitry makes a checklist on how he wants the columns to be
   used. The checklist is ready: link
   <https://community.kde.org/Krita/Docs/BugsPriorityHowto>

Kickstarter

   -

   Should happen in May as last year

   -

   Video: ask Timothy
   -

   Immaterial Rewards: start discussing on forum, kickstarter update.
   (Immaterial because material rewards have given too much trouble and we do
   not wish to give this stress to us and our backers. Also, this saves lots
   of money for postage). Examples: ebooks, training DVD downloads, picture
   commissions, for high “fix my bug” tiers invitation to sprint where this is
   done.
   -

   Irina checks Google Forms for multichoice kickstarter voting
   -

   Plan:
   -

      ask Timothee about Video
      -

      Immaterial Rewards (forum topic)
      -

      Immaterial Rewards (Kickstarter update)

Text Support

   -

   Text needs boud looking at text in particular: This is almost a separate
   thing all together from vectors.
   -

   https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qZ-o5kjNj9bl5EC-mO0u7m5pMdJ6ckUidSsSU30qK5I/edit#
   -

   https://phabricator.kde.org/T1004 Recreate the Text Tool
   -

   Text is saved into SVG, so the saving/loading should be coordinated with
   vector shapes feature.
   -

   For curved text use the code in artistic text
   -

   Research Kerning and ligatures. (Talk to Scribus people)
   -

   Research multiline (Talk to inkscape people)
   -

   Using Cairo: Probably not necessary concerning our system.
   -

   Harfbuzz can be used for shaping glyphs, glyphs can be composed on an
   image by Qt.
   -

   Font libraries and font packs managed by Krita? Font selection dialog
   following opentype.
   -

   Fonts embedded in .kra files -> Can we inform user of copyrights due to
   embedding? Or is that their own problem?
   -

   Check anti-aliasing and aliasing at different resolutions and screen
   sizes
   -

   Anti-aliasing methods: Check if this is an SVG option, because then
   it’ll be a styling problem.
   -

   We’d like to be able to offer multiple text-editing methods, such as a
   rich text-editor, a raw svg editor and maybe a type of markup.
   -

   Text needs to fit another vector shape, or be on a shape's path

Next steps:

   1.

   Get feedback other people: scribus, inkscape, svg, opentype, dave
   crossland, create list, krita forum
   2.

   Get the list of requirements for Scott: ask comics creators (deevad,
   Animtim) about their workflow and preferences
   3.

   Ask Scott to get the UIX design: Font Selector, Text Editing Window
   (floating or docker or split window), Markup or Visual Edition. Raw SVG
   editor (syntax highlighting, linting, preview button). Direct object
   manipulation.
   4.

   Write good kickstarter text, create text tool stretch goals

Vector Support

   -

   http://pomax.github.io/bezierinfo/
   -

   No, we’re not going to rewrite flake to use our own bezier code. In the
   case we’re moving to openGL we’ll reuse the code we’re using for the
   canvas-decorations (assistants, guides, grids, etc)
   -

   Port from ODG to SVG: there is some svg parsing/saving code already:
   needs evaluating
   -

   Look whether there are suitable svg parsing/generating/rendering
   libraries
   -

   Don't need: svg animations. SVG2 for multiline text, for everything else
   SVG1 is fine.
   -

   All special Karbon plugins including the filters are already available
   so we don’t have to do that
   -

   Collect list of current flake rendering bugs; also check the calligra
   project for that!!!
   -

   Collect list of current flake interaction issues.
   -

   Grids, Snapping to angles, (GRID, ORTHO, POLAR modes) (Check what Karbon
   can do already?)
   -

   Port existing karbon features (make a list of these)
   -

   Ask Animtim to write his issues with vector layers
   -

   Guides. The vector tools should snap to guides.
   -

   Extension, intersection of lines.
   -

   Use vector layer as a mask? -> stretch goal
   -

   Rotate Scale Offset pattern of the shape with special handles (stretch
   goal?)

Next steps:

   1.

   Vector related bugreports (incl. calligra product)
   2.

   Boud asks on forum about requirements and sends the link to Dmitry. ->
   Also ask about ‘If you were to design a Krita Kickstarter, what ridiculous
   main goal would you have it fund?’
   3.

   Current SVG support?
   4.

   Remove ODG code
   5.

   Discuss with Timothee and others about the set of requirements
   6.

   Ask Scott about UIX
   7.

   Write a good Kickstarter text, create stretch goals for vector

Stretch goals for Kickstarter 2016

   -

   Export to PDF that goes beyond rendering as raster?
   -

   Calligraphy vector tool (variable size)
   -

   Convert shape to assistant
   -

   Vector patterns
   -

   Objects outliner (docker listing all the objects and their properties)
   -

   R-click selection of overlapping shapes
   -

   Make bundles smarter to get a more usable interface
   -

   export a tag as a bundle
   -

   adding things like templates, shortcuts and layerstyles.
   -

   undelete resources, smart blacklist
   -

   make file layers editable

Irina will check the interviews for the Most Annoying things to start the
stretch goals
Krita Next

2016: We need to pull about new formats for modern workflows: So 16bit
supporting gradients/palettes, new brush tip formats that support different
languages.

2017: Comic Books

   -

   Templates for comic books
   -

   Gutter cutter for comic books
   -

   Layer cutter
   -

   Assistant UI polishing->fixing assistant bugs -> transform assistants
   and other assistant wishbugs.

2018: depends on the requirements, can’t see so far ahead because the
landscape changes too fast

Scripting: Probably not a good kickstarter goal because the prime userbase
is studios.

Tablet GUI: Revive sketch/gemini? Or rework it?

We should probably go back and relook workflows again to see the big
missers.
Wish Triaging

Done!

---