Binding presets to shortcuts

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 23:53:05 UTC 2014

Hi,

recently we have gotten the request to be able to bind preset to shortcuts
like here:
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=123325&p=321980#p321970

For the feature the user should be able to save a preset into some place
and access it later with a shortcut. From the request above it should also
be possible to store temporary setting so the state of the brush even
without an existing preset.
I'm not wondering how that could be solved efficiently and see what your
comments.

I think there should be a number of slots where you can save a preset to
bind it to a certain preset. I wonder if we need to make it possible to
access a huge amount of presets or if we just need a few. For example you
could have five slots and one preset in each, which would limit the number
of addressable presets to five. Alternatively each slot could contain a
list of preset and with each press of the shortcut (before a certain
timeout) you would get to the next in the list. That would allow to have
more preset to be accessible via shortcuts but make reaching a single one a
bit slower.

I wonder if the preset should be persistent. Is it common that you need the
same preset so often that they shoud continuously be bound to a shortcut?
Maybe saved with the image or into the other presets.

Feel free to comment.

Sven