Roadmap discussion for 2.9 and 3.0

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 01:59:33 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 12:21 AM, Erik Johansson <erik.johansson at fido.se>wrote:

> Just wanted to chip in on:
>
> """
>
>> * MDI interface (more than one document loaded in one window)
>>

> I would give this the top priority, because it's the single feature that
> has be merged before we go to 3.0 and will likely also need a lot of work.
> """
>
> Will this result in less memory/cpu usage when having multiple documents
> open?

I think so, resources would only be loaded once per process so you save
that.

>  Will the old way of one process per document still work?

You would still have a process per window. So as long as you have one
document open it should work like the old application.

> Is it possible to have a chrome like approach where each tab is a process?

If there was a single component that was crashing it might possible to
isolate it, but it's not feasible I think. Allthough I'm wondering if it
would be possible to check if it's possible to create a opengl canvas in
another process before crashing the main application.

> As Krita still ain't rock solid. LOADS better than some months ago and I
> guess it will be even more stable when 3.0 hits but it would still s**k for
> all open documents to crash because one of them bugs out. Just wanted this
> to be taken into consideration when implementing this.

Use Krita on Linux ;) At least there we have zero reported crashes for the
master branch.