Future of the animation feature

Dmitry Kazakov dimula73 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 09:10:41 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 6:27 PM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:

But don't think in terms of 'the image' -- if the timeline is outside
> KisImage, we'd generate a KisImage for every frame, with references to the
> nodes used in the timeline.

A separate KisImage for every frame is a nice idea, but we need to answer
two questions:

1) How would we handle static layers? Are they going to be duplicated in
every frame? Right now all the types of layers store a pointer to the image
(KisDefaultBounds in every KisNode + a direct pointer in every KisLayer).
Also clone layers have a bidirectional link with its source, which is used
for projection calculation every time. Every paint device inside a layer
also stores a pointer to KisImage via KisDefaultBounds.

These pointers were the reason why I decided to implement LOD by switching
datamanagers inside a paint device, instead of switching paint devices in
layers.

2) Memory management. All the duplicated node will occupy extra memory.
Krita's tile engine has copy-on-write mechanism, but it works only on
direct copies of paint devices. If we save the duplicated nodes into .kra
and load them afterwards, the memory will be duplicated.

---
Dmitry Kazakov