vfx features for Krita

Simon Legrand legrand.simon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 16:32:21 UTC 2013

Hey guys. So the Matte painting guys have been putting Krita through its
paces and this is what they came up with as their main priorities:

- Performance. That's the greatest priority. We need to be able to paint in
16bit 4k + smoothly.
- Painting on the 'transparency layer' should be done with black and white
color not with eraser and paint.
-This transparency layer should be displayable on its own. IE: ctrl+eye on
a transparency layer should display the layer as a grayscale image
- At the moment the brush opacity in the transparency layer seems to be
either 1 or nothing. The painting environment of the layer mask should be
full greyscale like any normal greyscale layer.

- Clone tool needs a 'sample anything visible option'. Dare I say like Gimp
(sample merged)? Or photoshop's default clone tool behaviour. :)

Important:

- Select by colour improvement. At the moment it's limited to a selection
box with discreet hues to pick from. This would be nice to turn into a
color picker with some parameters for adjusting the range of selection
(threshhold in Gimp, fuzziness in Krita fill selection)

- Healing and cloning improvements as mentioned in Boudj's previous email.
To start with the above priority is a good start.

Often requested:

- Support for Multi-layer exr.

- Photoshop hotkeys (a little off-topic), layout and tool workflows. All in
all we have to admit that every user that turns to Krita will have years of
experience and workflows in photoshop. Right now more users still need to
be attracted. So while it is great to try and create a better keyboard
layout than photoshop right off the bat, we still have to think about
keeping the UI open to photoshop users who may not be willing to learn new
workflows just yet. I'd say as a rule of thumb, when designing the UI to
any tool, we should all check out the photoshop equivalent FIRST and only
change it if there is a real disadvantage or problem to it.
I will try to create a keyboard layout config that closely mimics
photoshops as soon as I have a spare second.

- The topic of Gamma and Gain sliders (that affect ONLY the display) came
up again. I went to take a look again at the LUT docker which was meant to
fulfill this role but I am getting very unpredictable results. Currently if
'use environment is selected there is no effect on the image as you scrub
the exposure and gamma sliders at all. I will do more research on this
tonight and will reopen the 'Lut Docker' thread.

Would be Nice:

- Live file-in layer. (seems like boudj has already started on this)

I'll append to this tonight or on the weekend but that's a start. :)

Simon Legrand
http://slegrand.blogspot.com/