vfx features for Krita

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Mar 26 14:22:18 UTC 2013

Hi,

Here is a summary of my notes from last week's london visit: the list of
ideas that would make Krita even cooler than it already is for people in
the vfx world. When we sat down at dneg, basically we had something
attractive to offer to every category of artist, from matte to texture,
from dust-busting to concept artist.

* Integration with the pipeline:

Ocio is great and the future, but Krita is flexible enough that we now
can also support the legacy color management paths still in use

* Integration with Nuke, Blender, etc.

Well, only Nuke, really. Blender would be cool, but we haven't met Blender
users in London. The idea is to have a krita-backed image/layer node in
Nuke. Activate the node activates Krita, and the inputs and outputs are
Krita layers.

* Healing/Cloning

We have a healing/cloning paintop, but it isn't really strong enough
according to David, for the use of Matte painters. We can do a lot there.

* Matte stuff

- Content-aware fill, maybe even as a filter layer or filter mask
- Improved masking: import and export of masks from and to image files
- Improved mask visualization
- Improved scaling (https://gitorious.org/cubic-b-spline-interpolator)

* Dynamic file-backed layers

Basically, a file on disk that is shown as a layer. Read-only and
possibily in a different resolution, but scaled to the image resolution
automatically. I started on this already

* Image manager

Well, not really inside Krita, but these people need a Studio version of
Gwenview that supports OpenImageIO really badly. Something to manage, tag,
compare and view hundreds of thousands of exr, dpx, cineon and other
images.

* HDR Color Selector

This needs to be brought in line with Mari's HDR color selector: for HDR
images an exposure slider that is independent of the image exposure slider
needs to be added.

* Python Scripting

Not for painting, but adding bits of gui and executing filters, scaling,
merging and other operations.

I think that this was it, actually -- as I said, we're pretty good already
:-)

Boudewijn