Feedback about Krita (linux) from a painter

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Jul 21 10:44:09 UTC 2013

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013, David Revoy wrote:

> Hey,
>             1) which would show the effect of the currently configured brush in the realtime.
>
>  It's a kind of "photoshop does it, why doesn't this app have it?" feature, I feel.
>
> I guess most users don't know what effect does each sliders, or how they affect brush result.
> An auto preview system does improve experimenting for sure.

But it's really difficult to do right because it's practically impossible
to show the effect of all sensors on the stroke. Photoshop only shows
pressure, as far as I remember, and that gives a very misleading effect.
I'm not convinced that it's not better to let the user use the scratchpad
to see the effect for themselves.

>             2) It might also be cool if this automatic stroke might be compared with the previous
>             one. The same applies to the current color selection (is implemented in MyPaint).
>
> About color comparison, this is for sure useful ; I propose : http://i.imgur.com/DaLN2yQ.jpg
> ( note : activating the raw in the 'advanced color selector' setting for color history is precious )
> About stroke comparison : why not. I have no idea for how to make it fit the UI brush editor. This one is
> already too large IMO.
>
>             3) When brush outline cursor is active, it is *very* difficult to do precise details, [
>             ...]  That is why she had to activate "Small Circle" cursor to do the work.
>
>  We should show a center dot inside the brush outline. I'm also thinking that we might have a cursor
> switch in the toolbar, because changing the cursor type is something that people do a lot.
>
>  Yes, I agree. A toolbar button switching to an alternative cursor would help with some brushes. This
> alternative cursor could be choosen by user via settings ( drop down list ), but the 'small circle' could be a
> good default for it. For a brush shortcut , CAPLOCKS could be a good switch for it. I'm not sure if using
> CAPLOCKS would affect the Text tool ...

It would :-)

>             5) I was asked how to add a preset to the Right-click pop-up dialog. And I could neither
>             answer this question
>             nor find out how to do that. This is surely not obvious :(
>
> Use the "Save to palette" button in the toolbar.
>
> Two propositions :
> i)  Fill the right-click palette with default preset. Krita can't be delivered with an empty right-click palette
> IMO, it looks buggy and it's one of the first thing user will notice  as performing a right-click on canvas is
> an elementary test (ex : http://i.imgur.com/QBvqw4o.jpg )

Hm -- but it's not empty by default, at least not for some time now.

> ii) A little wrench icon on the right-click palette widget  to access to 'Save to Palette' .

That could be doable, but I don't expect anyone to have time for that
soon :-(

Boudewijn