krita for kids? (idea)

Simon Oosthoek s.oosthoek at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 14 21:41:47 UTC 2013

Hi All

Boudewijn suggested I would repost here, so I'll roughly translate my
original mail to Boudewijn so all non-dutch people can understand as
well ;-) (I'll keep the original in dutch in as well, who knows someone
might understand that better...)

I've been a KDE user since before the earliest krita predecessor was
initiated, Mandrake 5.3 I think was the first distro with KDE I used.
I like the KDE community, though I've never been involved as more than a
user, so I follow KDE planet and I use Kubuntu.

My daughter, who is now 5, likes to draw using tuxpaint and I thought it
would be nice for her to draw using a tablet, so I bought a wacom bamboo
p&t. The problem is that tuxpaint in current kubuntu has a bug with the
pen (I don't think it's a configuration problem) that the pen up/down
has become a toggle rather than a mousepress, which is hard to use,
especially when you've become used to pressing down to draw.

So to try out the tablet, I installed krita, which I know is good for
drawing with tablets. Krita did work wonderfully with the tablet,
however the interface is too complicated for a child of 5 years old.
(I'll be having those around for at least another 5 years).

Having recently read about krita sketch, I got the idea that it might be
possible to do another kind of spin on krita, with children as target
audience. Perhaps a crossing between tuxpaint and krita is what I had in
mind.
Currently I don't think kde-edu has a drawing program for kids, so it
would be great to have from that perspective as well.

Although I have no time (nor enough programming experience) to work this
out myself, I asked Boudewijn about his thoughts and he thought it was
possible to do in reasonable time.
I thought it was something that could be started up in a SoC kind of job.

I would love to hear if someone is interested in working on this, I have
some ideas for the UI, but I'm not a UI designer. Tuxpaint is a good
start, but I'd like to see less clutter and more focus on drawing. Easy
interfaces for choosing pens and colours and typing text.
The pressure sensitivity is too good to lose, but it should still be
possible to draw nice things using a mouse.

I'm now subscribed to the list.

Cheers

Simon