Plugin vs krita/ui code

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Feb 20 18:50:39 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 20 February 2013 Feb, Sven Langkamp wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have recently been looking through the plugins and I noticed that
> most of the code is still in the krita/ui. Especially in various
> managers we still have much action code. Beside that we have many
> methods there which pass through something, so we have some cases
> where a manager calls another manager. I think we should put more code
> into the plugins e.g. methods which are just used by one plugin or
> just have 1-2 lines of code. Even the other code should be moved to
> action factories.

I think the main reason the managers have these actions was to enable/disable them, even though for instance the selection manager already had a workaround for that. And with your action manager, that's not needed at all anymore. On the other hand, with an eye to the future, I really want to get rid of all kparts-based plugins, and iirc, most of the view plugins are still kparts. I think that we need to sit down in Essen and make a real plan for getting rid of kparts, making plugins' actions reachable from other types of view than a KPart view and maybe even start thinking about getting rid of the dependency on KDialog and the widget/state conflation in filters and paintops.

Lots of items on this list, but with the experience of krita sketch and so on, we should be able to come up with a plan.