R: DVD Krita Training Vol. 2 "Muses"

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Mon Feb 18 17:46:29 UTC 2013

Hi Ramon,

Very interesting plan indeed! :-)

I have just read your draft: Here are a few questions.

1)
Which version of Krita are you going to cover: 2.6 or 2.7?
As for me, I would go for the 2.7 v. since it has more options :-)
In addition, in my view, the 2.6 v. is already well covered by the PDF booklet [1].

2)
Do you plan to record all your videos on Windows or Linux?
On the one hand, I suppose most users are more interested in Windows
On the other hand, at present, the Windows builds are less stable than the Linux ones.
As a consequence, currently, I am aware it might be a bit problematic for you to choose the right platform :-)

3).
Do you think it might be useful to add some visual aid concerning the keyboard shortcuts you apply while working on Krita?

On Linux, for doing this, for instance, there is Key-mon:
http://code.google.com/p/key-mon/
It even looks like it has been used lately by David Revoy [2] :-)

The only problem concerning this tool regards its use with the full-screen option.
In short, I am not 100% sure whether Key-mon works fine with this feature enabled [3] on Krita.

On Windows, to get the same option, I suppose you should be forced to opt for a Demo version of Camtasia [4]

4)
Regarding the choice of using Gimp (and G'MIC) to finalize your paintings I have mixed feelings.
Do NOT get me wrong: I work myself with both Gimp and G'MIC (they are superb tools)!
Nevertheless, since this DVD is supposed to promote Krita, maybe, it might be a better route not to adopt other "similar" open source softwares.
Gimp is already hugely widespread and does not need any further promotion :-)
In short, you might try to force your viewers to overcome Krita shortcomings by  not starting another different graphical application to get the job done :-)
BUT, surely, this is really a *minor* controversial point (actually, it is just a personal thought...)....

Best regards,

Silvio Grosso

[1] http://krita.org/aboutkrita26.pdf
[2] http://krita.org/item/131-free-transform-tool