R: Friday is the day

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Tue Nov 27 13:07:02 UTC 2012

Hi Boud,

> Maybe in some countries, the donation will actually be tax-deductible
despite the lack of charitable status of the foundation in the
Netherlands.

In Italy, for our kind of Association (promoting open source GIS software), all donations were not tax-deductible.
In order to have this reduction, for our donors, we should have been supposed to follow a very strict regularization.
Nevertheless, our own accountant always suggested us not to follow this route because of all "complications"  it entailed (plenty of paper to produce for me, as a treasurer, and our Secretary).

To sum up, our  donors were *true* believers in the GIS open source software: since they did NOT get any tax reduction thanks to their donations :-)
All in all, this was not a problem for them since these amounts were pretty small (usually under 50 euros).

P.s: as explained, the money collected for "bug-fixing" stuff required instead an invoice from the developer (with VAT etc)

Best regards,

Silvio Grosso