"lut" docker

Simon Legrand legrand.simon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 11:00:13 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:

> On Sunday 03 June 2012 Jun, Simon Legrand wrote:
> > Yeah it's something we change often. Sometimes we view textures or
> renders
> > in multiple colour spaces and toggle between both to double check the
> whole
> > range of tones is there.
> >

> This is the thing I didn't understand about Nuke that I talked about
> yesterday in the context of opencolorio... In Krita, color profiles (what I
> think the movie industry calls "luts") are involved in three places:
>
> * the layer: individual layers can have their own colorspace and profile,
> so you can have a grayscale layer and an rgb layer in the same image
>
> * the image: the final composition of all layers has a colormodel and a
> profile, which is the working colorspace.
>
> * the final step, color-correcting the image so it displays correctly on a
> profiled monitor. This converts from the working space to the monitor.

Yes, that's how I understood it.

> Now, what you showed was a docker for that final step. But my gut feeling
> would be that what's needed is changing the working profile of the image
> (without converting the pixels, of course)...

No, what we need is purely something to change the viewing LUT (third
step). We don't really need to change the working colour-sapce (2nd step)
until we save out the image. That can be done like now, by changing the
image settings and saving, or the LUT can be chosen in the save dialog. But
I don't think there's any reason to change it from what it is now.

> Also, I seem to remember I a gamma slider in the Nuke video, and I'm not
> sure how to fit that in this scheme.

Yeah, two gain and gamma sliders would actually be the 'cherry on top' for
this dockable UI. I'm not sure how viable it is, but it would truly be
great to have.
But just to confirm this would only be a viewing tool. It would not change
the pixels nor would it change the actual colour profile of the image. It'd
be a 3rd step tool only.

> --
> Boudewijn Rempt
> http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org, http://www.boudewijnrempt.nl